Saturday 3 April 2010

Netherwood Farm and Wholestone Moor




The last day of the season? Fingers crossed. We started up at Netherwood Farm, where we were "beating up", planting new trees in and amongst previously planted stuff. Not everything on this site has thrived, so we were augmenting it with more Hawthorn and Oak. I think around 150 trees got planted. Dave and I left after cake break, and went back to Wholestone Moor to finish off there. We planted around 90 trees up there, though we left some unstaked and unguarded. The important thing was to get the trees in the ground before they start their spring growth. The site is now very well fenced, so the trees should be safe enough from grazing. We will pop up there sometime in the Summer to finish off. Today's cake was a splendid and substantial Bakewell tart. We worked quite hard this morning, to try and bring the season to a close, I was worn out, but still ceremoniously washed my gaiters and boots after we'd finished. I don't bother to clean my kit all winter, just when I think we've finished.